I’ve covered a lot of interesting and useful websites over the last 23 days. Some have covered food safety, some have covered how food is grown and harvested, some have focused on famers having meaningful conversations with consumers.
None have really focused on how to pick those food items — or at least understanding what’s in the foods you’re picking.
Luckily for you (and me), the FDA has an answer for that. I’ve already included the FDA in this 30-day series, but why not go for it again? There’s so much information on their website, I could probably make that website alone a 30-day series.
Today, I’m sending you over to the ingredients, packaging and labeling section of the website.
Here’s what you can find:
- An overview of the nutrition facts panel present on every packaged food on supermarket shelves;
- Plus, info on deciphering:
Plus additional information on label claims, front-of-packaging labeling initiative, nutrition facts label programs and materials, and nutrition labeling information for restaurants and retail establishments.
See, I told you. Lots of stuff.
To see the rest of the 30-day series, check out the links below:
- Day 1 – The Best Info Straight From the Horse’s Mouth
- Day 2 – Open Gates and Open Minds
- Day 3 – Nom nom nom
- Day 4 – Just the Facts. From the Experts.
- Day 5 – All Things Biotech
- Day 6 – Keepin’ it Safe in the Kitchen
- Day 7 – Good Info, Cute Kids.
- Day 8 – Mom at the Meat Counter
- Day 9 – Learning to be Good Stewards of the Land
- Day 10 – Agriculture, Food and Leisure
- Day 11 – Proud to be a Rancher, Proud to be in Agriculture
- Day 12 – Food Facts from the Feds
- Day 13 – It’s all fun and games…
- Day 15 – All About Protein
- Day 17 – The Life and Times of an Illinois Farm Girl
- Day 18 – Answering the Dreaded, “What’s For Dinner?”
- Day 19 – Differences and Similarities
- Day 20 – Milk, Meat and Antibiotics
- Day 21 – U.S. Department of Food Safety
- Day 22 – Chow Talk
- Day 23 – All Things Dairy