Time for another edition of the Weekly Round Up — albeit, two days late. Apparently, when I was working on this Thursday, I forgot to schedule the post to go up on Friday. Because I’m awesome.
Oh well, better late than never, right?
- We’ll kick things off with the big news in Illinois this week — news that has us aggies pretty upset. You see, farmers tend to feel pretty underrepresented and, for the first time, it felt like we had a guy in our corner. Then, all of the sudden, we didn’t. For more info, check out stories here, here, here and here.
- This, because it seems to fit nicely with the political happenings from this week.
- This story, from Forbes Magazine, which I thought was pretty interesting. There’s been a crusade against GMOs as of late. Folks are out to get them out of every single food they eat — or at least get them labeled. Personally, I’m just fine with GMOs in my food. They’ve been proven safe in study after study, but that’s just my personal choice. But did you know that GMOs aren’t just in food?
- And speaking of GMOs, this story about a popular spice company going organic and GMO-free by 2016. Again, if you’re all for the organic, non-GMO movement, I that’s your choice. But here’s something to keep in mind as you’re buying organic, non-GMO labeled spices: those spices have always been non-GMO because GMO varieties of those plants don’t exist.
- This, because it’s awesome.
- And this, from the Washington Post, about the tyranny of olive oil! But seriously, am I the only one who really isn’t crazy about the taste of olive oil? I would much rather stick with butter. The fact that I grew up with dairy cattle probably has something to do with that, too. 🙂