For those of you familiar with agriculture, or central Illinois, it’s not news to you that Farm Progress Show was this week. That means traffic — lots and lots of traffic — and surface-of-the-sun heat.
It seems like no matter the year, it’s always super hot at Farm Progress Show and this year didn’t disappoint. It was 90+ degrees every day. Let’s just say my washer got a work out this week. Whew.
If you aren’t familiar with Farm Progress Show, let me introduce you in our first entry of this week’s Weekly Round Up:
- Let’s just say, it’s like Christmas for farmers everywhere. New product reveals and demos galore, more than 600 agricultural vendors selling everything from grain bins and machinery to seed, fertilizer, mowers and everything in between, fair-like food and awesome speakers. It’s a mecca, you guys. Even if you don’t do the agriculture thing, it’s a pretty awe-inspiring show. For more info, check out www.farmprogressshow.com or the Farm Progress Show Facebook page. Lots of pictures and information for all of you curious about this crazy hot event.
- This, because it speaks to me.
- Do you wear a FitBit? They’re pretty popular these days among consumers of all types, even me. But did you know cows are now wearing them, too? Me neither. But, according to the Wall Street Journal, they are. I wonder if they come in pretty colors like the people versions do…
- This, because it’s awesome. Doesn’t matter if you’re a 4-H kid or supporter, this applies to everything.
- I found these two stories from the Washington Post and UrbanFarmOnline.com particularly interesting because I’m a mom to a
tiny terroristtoddler who, because of daycare, seems to be getting the sniffles all the time. I guess maybe I should spend more time letting H roll around in the dirt? Husband will love that…
- Do you have kids? Do you find yourself wondering, “Crap. Is that [insert food item here] that Billy/Apple/Zoe/George/Moonbeam eating really healthy? Or did I make a mistake?” I’m a mom, too, I get it. Of course the good stuff isn’t always the good-for-you stuff. If you’ve wondered that about chocolate milk, or flavored milk in general for that matter, check this out. Great information on the benefits of all kinds of milk.