Summer is finally here, you guys! And it’s almost over. Talking with President Guebert this week, he said he couldn’t figure out where summer has gone. Given that the majority of this summer felt like spring with lots of rain and 60 degree temperatures, I’m just going to say summer has felt short because we never really had one.
But, finally, this week, we haven’t had rain, I haven’t needed to mow my yard seven times, and my yard even has some sunburnt spots in it! Yay, summer!
Anyway, let’s get down to it:
- Check out this article from Progressive Dairy about a dairy woman who had one of her cows serve as a bridesmaid. Now, that’s my kind of wedding!
- And speaking of dairy cows, check out this video of Michigan football coach, Jim Harbaugh getting a question from a young fan. I love it so much!
- This, because it’s awesome.
- Be sure to read this awesome piece, shared by Holly Spangler, about kids who show market animals. As Holly said, it’s a tear-jerker, so be ready. But it’s also an awesome read. I never showed market animals, but I can tell you that showing livestock of any kind, even the non-market kind like horses or dairy cattle, teaches kids the same thing that author Christy Lee talks about in her post. Seriously, this one is excellent.
- Take a look at this cool piece from Upworthy. I’ve talked about the role of women in agriculture before, and even mentioned that the number of women in leadership roles on the farm continues to rise, but this takes it a step further — it has pictures!
- This, because of course. When my husband and I were dating, I’m pretty sure he thought I was cheating on him because I was always blowing him off…to spend time with my horse.
- And finally, this from the Huffington Post. Gwyneth Paltrow is attaching her name to the list of folks supporting mandatory GMO labeling. Not surprising. But once again, popular opinion, and that of Gwyneth Paltrow, doesn’t necessarily align with science.