As many of you know, several areas in Illinois have been hit hard by flooding. The Illinois Farm Bureau is working with local County Farm Bureaus and emergency agencies to ensure residents of rural areas are getting the help they need.
Please continue to check our blog, as well as the Illinois Farm Bureau Facebook page, for updated information on how you can help. For now, here’s the most current information we have:
April 20 – 8:00pm Red Cross Shelter Update
• East Peoria (Tazewell County) Illinois Central College’s Cougar Plex at 1 College Drive
• Spring Bay (Woodford County) Riversedge United Methodist Church 500 Chicago Street
• Rushville (Schuyler County) Faith Christian Family Church RR#2
• Peoria (Peoria County) Redeemer Lutheran Church 6801 N. Allen Road
• Canton (Fulton County) St…. Mary’s Gym 357 N. 3rd Street
• CITY RUN SHELTER – Ottawa (LaSalle County) Shepherd Middle School 701 E. McKinley Rd
• ON STANDBY – Hanna City (Peoria County) Hanna City United Methodist Church on Route 116
• ON STANDBY – Kickapoo (Peoria County) Kickapoo Township Hall on Route 150
• ON STANDBY – Tilton (Vermilion County) South Side Church of the Nazarene 1629 King Street
THE FARM POST 2013 FLOOD UPDATE – by Blake E. Roderick, Executive Director of Pike and Scott County Farm Bureaus
Good news yesterday from the US Army Corps of Engineers for the Illinois River portion of the 2013 flood. The St. Louis District met with commissioners in Pike and Scott counties, ‘shot’ elevations on the levees, and gave a positive outlook for the Illinois River levee…s. In short, what was shaping up as a major disaster has now turned into a ‘flood’ fight. Levee work begins today at the Scott County Drainage District where IL 100/106 cross the Illinois River at Florence and at the Valley City Drainage District between Valley City and Chambersburg in Pike County. Additional height needs to be added to these levees to hold back flood waters. River levels will remain dangerously high on the Illinois River for the remainder of this week. Some levee build-up and maintenance will continue on the other districts in both counties.
The Mississippi River has crested, is cresting, or will soon crest at all stations throughout Pike County. The levels appear to be below predicted flood heights.
Congressman Aaron Schock will be visiting flood fighters today. He will be in Meredosia on the Illinois River at 12:30 p.m. and at Pike Station on the Mississippi River at 2:30 p.m. Other stops include Beardstown and Quincy. Eleven counties in the 18th Congressional District are part of the 38 counties named last week in Governor Quinn’s disaster declaration.
According to the Pike County Economic Development Corporation, the Florence Bridge is scheduled to re-open on Monday. IDOT has been allowing farmers hauling grain from bins in the Illinois River valley across the bridge for the last few days. The bridge has also been open for transport of sand to staging areas in Scott County. There is a good probability the bridge will be closed again next week due to sandbags on the bridge approach.
The Illinois and Mississippi Rivers closed to navigation this weekend.